Our site is optimized for today's modern browsers. To fully benefit from our site's features, please download the latest version of either:
Home - Coronavirus Updates
UPDATE – MAY 13 at 3:15PM CST
As many of you know, the Mizuno Lone Star Classic family has been holding on tight to the hope that we would be able to host the 33rd Annual Mizuno Lone Star Classic National Qualifier. Unfortunately, after a recent update from the City of Dallas and the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center (KBHCCD), we are heartbroken to have to announce the cancellation of the 2020 event. The cancellation of LSC also includes the cancellation of the SWBT Finals and Tour Finals 18s events that were scheduled to be hosted in conjunction with the LSC. While it was extremely difficult to hear the decision, we understand and agree that this is in the best interest of all those involved with the event.
We want to thank all of our partners that have hung in there with us, including the KBHCCD and the Dallas Sports Commission; our sponsors including Mizuno, Molten and Courts Galore; our staff who has worked tirelessly these last two months to try to find ways to make the LSC happen; the North Texas Region and USA Volleyball; and most importantly, the clubs that have supported our event over the last 30+ years. Like you, our Austin Junior Volleyball players and coaches are among the many looking forward to the competition and camaraderie at the event. While the historical records of the LSC will show an asterisk next to 2020 - the year that wasn't - rest assured that in the years to come, the Lone Star Classic will continue to provide a world-class event, whatever that iteration might look like.
At this time, here is what we know:
1. ENTRY FEES - Teams will have the option to either receive a refund or to take credits for the 2021 season.
- Credits - Mizuno LSC will be offering credits to teams who wish to receive hotel VIP status, spectator wristbands priority, and full entry fee credit towards the 2021 LSC event. If interested in taking advantage of this, please email [email protected].
- Refunds- We will begin processing refunds on June 15th. We appreciate your patience as we work through the logistics of this. Please note we will be processing all refunds via e-check to eliminate additional transaction fees to be withheld from the refund amount.
2. HOTELS - EM2 Housing will cancel all of the hotel reservations setup through their blocks for this event. There is no further action required on your part and there will be no cancellation penalties. Should you have any questions or require any additional information, feel free to contact EM2 Housing at [email protected] or 800-603-0917.
3. ON THE HORIZON - We will be looking at opportunities to host small summer series tournaments catered to local/regional teams and will announce more details early next week.
We were able to contact over 1,000 teams by phone in the last week and we sincerely appreciate the clubs who were able to commit to leaving their 2020 entry fees as credits for 2021. We also received exceptional feedback and suggestions that we will use to make the 2021 Lone Star Classic event the best ever. More on those exciting announcements in the coming months.
More importantly, we appreciate the overwhelming support from the entire volleyball community that has helped make the Lone Star Classic a premier event that we take great pride in hosting. Hosting volleyball events is part of who we are and we are already counting down the days until we hear the whistles signaling the start of play at next year's event!
We hope you all stay safe and stay healthy.
UPDATED MAY 7 at 11AM CST
We are sending our very best to the entire volleyball community and want to thank each of you for hanging in there with us through this crazy time! We wanted to reach out and update you on the current state of the 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic National Qualifier.
- At this time, we are still moving forward with hosting the 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic on May 30-June 1, June 6-8 in Dallas and June 5-7 in Austin.
- Per conversations we have had with the Dallas Convention Center, it seems likely that the pop-up hospital will not be utilized and there continues to be no plans to use any part of the building prior to the Lone Star Classic. If this were to change, we will notify you immediately.
- Right now, we have weekly phone calls with the KBCCD and Dallas Sports Commission to discuss the proper protocols that are in place across all parties.
- We are also in the process of researching and receiving advice from different organizations such as USAV, USOC, and WHO on different safety and health guidelines we can implement to ensure the safety of all attendees. These are a work in progress and can and will change if federal, state, and local policies change between now and the event. Here is a very brief list of examples we have been exploring (full list will be published prior to event):
- We highly encourage anyone who has preexisting health conditions or have identified any symptom within the past 14 days to not attend the event
- We will place a limit on the number of spectators able to attend (that number is still to be determined)
- BallerTV still plans to livestream all matches
- Courts and chairs will have increased spacing to ensure social distancing is maintained
- Spectator purchases will be strictly online, and we will utilize multiple entrances into the exhibit halls
- Ample hand sanitizers stations will be available throughout the building
- We are exploring the possibility of taking individuals' temperature before entering the event to ensure the safety of all players, coaches, spectators and event staff
- We will be eliminating all vendor booths
- Merchandise will be solely sold online
We are doing our very best to maintain a current pulse of event tendencies around the country, as well as constantly updating our procedures to match current and potential federal, state and local government regulations.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions. Stay safe and we hope to see you all soon!
Lone Star Classic Event Staff
UPDATED APRIL 1 at 12PM CST
The Lone Star Classic has been working closely with the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas (KBHCCD) and the Dallas Sports Commission to reschedule the tournament. Currently, authorities are preparing the KBHCCD as a contingency location for hospital overflow in the event that more beds are needed. At this time, there are no patients in the convention center. The KBHCCD along with the Dallas Sports Commission are keeping us as informed as they receive updates and instruction during this time. The safety of our participants and spectators has always been the most important factor in our decisions as we do our best to find a way to hold our beloved event. We will continue to provide updates from the KBHCCD, the Dallas Sports Commission, and the event as we have them.
UPDATED MARCH 30 at 5:30PM CST
Based on feedback from our participating clubs, as well as the everchanging landscape of the coronavirus situation, we have made slight improvements to our rescheduled Mizuno Lone Star Classic dates. We have consolidated the event into two weeks, allowing us to push it back a week to help with the health and safety of all involved. We understand that this might change the response you provided to us via the online form, and if that is the case for you, we ask that you let us know those changes via email to [email protected]. This has been a very unique tournament season and we appreciate you all for remaining patient and understanding as we work through this. We believe this breakdown of teams and weekends will provide everyone with the best possible tournament experience.
Rescheduled 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic Dates:
Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas:
- May 30-June 1: 11s, 12s, 13s, 14s, Tour of Texas 18s Finals (11 Club & TTx = Sat-Sun)
- June 6-8: 15 Open, 16s, 17s, SWBT Championships (Boys are Sat-Sun only)
Austin Convention Center:
- June 5-7: 15 American, Club, Select, and USA.
Please note the different venues and event date in Austin. The tournament hosts will create new AES events and transfer over all teams into the same division that they were previously accepted. Previously accepted teams will not need to submit any information other than your roster when we near the event. If you have already notified us about not participating in the the rescheduled dates, we will drop those teams at this time. If you have any requests for division changes, we will be able to evaluate what space will be available those weekends once we complete the above process. Please email any requests to [email protected] We anticipate registration for new teams to open on Friday, April 3rd.
Hotels for the Rescheduled Dates
The Mizuno Lone Star Classic will be enforcing stay to play for these rescheduled dates. To date all reservations that had been booked for the original LSC dates have been cancelled. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your original reservations, please email [email protected]. EM2 Housing is in the process of setting up the new inventory for the new dates and will open on April 15 at 8AM CST. If you previously had a reservation booked through EM2 Housing for Lone Star Classic, the AES booking fee will be waived for your new LSC reservation as long as we can verify record of original reservation.
UPDATED MARCH 20 at 9:15PM CST
First and foremost, we'd like to thank you for your cooperation and patience with us as we have dealt with these unexpected changes to the season. As we announced yesterday, the 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic was postponed pending confirmation of new dates. We are excited to announce the new dates and age groups below.
Rescheduled 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic Dates:
All divisions to be held at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center
- May 23-25: 11s, 12s, 13s, 14CS
- May 29-31: 14AOU, 15ACS, 16ACS
- June 5-7:15OU, 16OU, 17s
Options for Currently Registered Teams
- Play on the rescheduled dates and elect the entry fee already submitted be applied to the new tournament date
- Credit the full amount of this year's entry fee towards 2021 Lone Star Classic event
- Teams that are unable to attend the new dates will receive a full refund (less any applicable transaction fees)
Hotels for the Rescheduled Dates
EM2 Housing is in the process of cancelling all existing hotel reservations. No further action is needed on your part. There will be no cancellation penalties, all rooms will be fully refunded, less the $5.95 AES transaction fee.
We ask that you refrain from re-booking your hotel rooms until room blocks have been finalized over the new set of dates. EM2 Housing is working to secure room blocks and the stay to play policy will remain in place. Once new hotel inventory is in place, EM2 Housing will reach out to all clubs, teams and attendees via email to get rooms re-booked. We appreciate your patience as we work through this process.
Club Directors, please submit this form by noon on Friday, March 27 identifying the option for each team entered. Again, we cannot thank you enough for your patience, and look forward to hosting the event in May!
UPDATED MARCH 19 at 4:30PM CST
We want to start by thanking everyone for their patience through this unprecedented time. It is with sadness that we must officially postpone the 2020 Mizuno Lone Star Classic. USA Volleyball and the City of Dallas extended the city's gathering restrictions through April 29, both of which prevent us from holding this event at the scheduled time.
At this time, we are working tirelessly with all parties involved to come up with alternative solutions. We completely understand your concerns regarding entry fees and hotel accommodations and we will be following up with more detailed information once we gather more information about potential options. EM2 Housing will be cancelling all of your reservations with the hotels, no action is required on your part. You will receive an email from AES confirming the cancellation. All hotel deposits will be refunded in full to the credit card on file, less the $5.95 transaction fee. Please allow 7-10 days for the funds to show up on your card. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 800-603-0917 or email us at [email protected].
As we all know, this situation is extremely fluid and the information being provided to us to help guide decisions is changing by the hour. We are doing our very best to keep up with the changes and effectively communicate the correct information to you all. We hope to have more information to everyone as soon as possible!
UPDATED MARCH 16 at 10:15AM CST
The Mizuno Lone Star Classic National Qualifier is actively monitoring the current situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19). Our priority is the health and safety of our attendees. We are working closely with the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, the Gaylord Texan Hotel, the Center for Disease Control, Dallas County Health and Human Services, the Office of Emergency Management and USA Volleyball to ensure the event will be safe for attendees and the general public.
On March 13, USA Volleyball eliminated the sanctioning for all USA Volleyball activities through March 31. As of today, the Mizuno Lone Star Classic has not been affected by this announcement. We will not be making any decisions about the status of our event until we have more information. The status of the Mizuno Lone Star Classic will follow the recommendations of the authorities mentioned above. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.
The Mizuno Lone Star Classic will take preventative measures during the event including (but not limited to) the following:
- Sanitary wipes will be provided for all score tables and in high traffic areas
- Pre- and post-game high five protocol will be eliminated
It is at the discretion of families to choose to attend the event should they, or a family member, be at a higher risk of contracting COVID-19. Individuals who are considered high risk are:
- Older adults
- Those with heart disease
- Those with diabetes
- Those with lung disease
The following preventive measures should be taken to help reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Read other statements on the coronavirus:
- Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center
- Dallas County Health & Human Services Novel Coronavirus Webpage
- USA Volleyball
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention